I'm thinking free & easy..... sound good?
Next week, your image must contain at least one layer of any of my textures. That's it......
So, This is what I did.
I took some pictures with my new Lensbaby lens (see earlier blog entry). The lilac in my front yard is just starting to bloom. I used one of these shots for my image. Notice how the image is sharp in the center and gradually blurs as you go out to edges.
Layer 1. I opened a new document that is 11 x 8.5-inch landscape, 300 ppi, RGB, white background. I won't show this since just a plain white layer.
Layer 2. Will be created later.
Layer 3. Will be created later.
Layer 4. Will be created later.
Layer 5. I brought in my photo. I transformed the image to fit my layout page and placed it where I wanted it. I have the photo placed so that the borders on the left, right, and top are about the same size, and the bottom border is wider. This has it placed so it doesn't look like it is falling off the page. It would look that way if all borders were same size.
Layer 6. For this layer, I used Kim's texture kk_iAm. It is beautiful watercolor texture. Kim gave us this texture in Day 25 of Beyond Layers. This is what it looks like at Normal Mode and 100% Opacity.
I changed the layer blend mode to Soft Light and 100% Opacity.
This gives the image some gentle shadings over the leaves and brightens the image.
Layer 7. I duplicated Layer 6 and changed the layer blend mode to Multiply and reduced the Opacity to 60%.
This added more shading texture to the leaves and darkened the entire image to give more the appearance of how the flowers really looked outside. It was a cloudy day and rather dark in the shade where the plant is located. I was very happy with this result for the image. But, the layout needed more that a white border around the image.
Now for Layer 4. I made Layer 5 my active layer. I held down the Command / Control key and clicked on the Thumbnail of Layer 5 to put a selection around the image.
Then I made a new layer below Layer 5 by holding down the Command / Control key and clicking on the Create a new Layer button at the bottom of the Layers Panel. This puts a new layer below the active layer. This new layer is My Layer 4. I then filled the selection area on Layer 4 with a lilac color that I had sampled from the lilac blossoms in the original photo. You can't see it yet since it is below the image. This becomes the mat for the photo.
Back to Layer 5. I made Layer 5 the active layer. I used Free Transform ( Command / Control - T ) to resize the image to a slightly smaller size so that I could see the mat under the photo.
Back to Layer 4. I used Free Transform to resize the Mat so that it had equal borders top, left and right, and a larger bottom border.
Now for Layer 2. I made a new layer above Layer 1. I filled this layer with one of the lighter lilac colors I had sampled from the image.
Now for Layer 3. This lilac color was too intense for me, so I added a Hue / Saturation Layer. I reduced the saturation to -40.
Now the color is better, it no longer is right in my face. But, it it very flat. So, I went to Filter / Texture / Texturizer
This opened the Texturizer Panel.
In the upper right, in the Texture drop down box, I loaded in one of my own textures. You will not have it. Texturizer comes with Sandstone, Canvas, Burlap and Brick textures. However, by clicking on the little menu icon next to the drop down box you can load your own texture. I Scaled mine at 150% and set Relief to 10. I also checked Invert. With Invert, my texture looks like it is coming up off the page. If I had left it unchecked, the texture would look like it was embossed into the page.
I now have a nice texture for this background for the photo. And, this is my final layout for this page using Kim's kk_iAm texture.
Now I wanted to see how the image would respond to one of my digitally created watercolor textures.
I started with the same image on the same page layout.
I created my own watercolor texture using Photoshop CS5 and a watercolor brush that I had created. This is my texture at Normal Mode and 100% Opacity.
I clipped the texture to the image and changed the Blend Mode to Vivid Light at 60% Opacity.
I liked this very much. So I sampled a couple of the orangish-brown colors from with in leaves to use for the mat and the background color. I created the mat and background color as I showed above. I also added a drop shadow and bevel and emboss to the mat.
Again I thought the background color was a little intense so I add in a Hue / Saturation adjustment layer and decreased the saturation.
So, this is how it looks with my digitally created texture. I am happy.
Thank you for seeing what I did with my lilac bush image. I hope you enjoyed the tour.
Live life fully and enjoy what you do.