This is the image we were given.
And this is the magic texture. It is Kim's kk_chalkmagic.
Here is what I did with this image and this texture.
Step 1. I opened the image in a new document. This had the image as the Background layer and is a locked layer. I knew that I probably would want to do something with the layer, so I double clicked on the layer name and changed the name to originalImage. The layer is now unlocked.
Step 2. Next I brought in the texture that Kim gave us to use for the next layer. Here is what to looks like at Normal mode and 100% Opacity.
Step 3. Normally, when working with a magic texture, what I would do next is change the Layer Blend Mode for the texture to Screen. So, that is what I did.
But, for my tastes, this gives too subtle of a change to the image. I like something a little more bold. I thought about this. Usually I put the texture layer on top of the image I want to use the texture on. What would happen if I put the image on top of the texture instead? This is what happened when I put the image on top of the texture and changed the image Layer Blend mode to Vivid Light with 100% Opacity.
Now, this is what I would call Not Subtle. And, I like it.
Step 4. The flower is quite dark and I thought that I might want to have just the flower by itself to use at some point. I used the Quick Selection Tool to select just the flower from the image. Then I jumped the selection to its own layer with Command / Control — J. If I turn off the visibility of the originalImage and texture layers, you can see the extracted flower on its own layer.
Step 5. At this point, I turned off the visibility of the extracted flower layer and I kept that layer at the top of my layer stack. I added in a new layer above the originalImage layer and below the extracted flower layer. I filled the layer with a medium brown color and set the Layer Blend mode to Soft Light and 100% Opacity. This gave me some nice brown tones in the upper part of the page.
Step 6. Next I added a new layer above the brown layer and filled it with a violet color. I changed the Layer Blend mode to Saturation and reduced the Opacity to 50%. This gave me some nice violet tones in the bottom part of the page.
Step 7. I wanted to do something different with the flower image. I used the extracted flower image to create a pattern of the flower. I then clicked on the Add new fill layer button at the bottom of the layers panel and selected Pattern. Then opened the pattern dialog and I selected the flower pattern that I had just made. I adjusted the Scale of the pattern and now I have this.
Step 8. I decided that I wanted a gradient over the pattern images. I clicked on the Add new fill layer button at the bottom of the layers panel and selected Gradient. When the Gradient Fill dialog opened I clicked on the gradient image to open the Gradient Editor. I selected the Brown, Tan, Beige gradient from the Presets. If you don't find it in your Presets, you may have to load the Pastel Presets that came with Photoshop.
Then I clicked OK, OK. Then I clipped the gradient layer to the Pattern Fill layer below it, changed the layer blend mode to Soft Light and had Opacity 100%, for this.
Step 9. I turned on the visibility of the extracted flower layer for this final step. And this is what I ended up with.
Now you may wonder why I did this or did that. I can tell you that I don't know why I did this or did that. It just grew as I went along. This was not a planned photo layout for a page. It was just a creation of mine that grew from the starting point of the image and texture that Kim gave us to see what we would do. As I went along, my mind went from here to there and suggested trying some of these things. I just went along for the ride. When I got to this point, I decided the journey had ended. I enjoyed my trip . . . . . I hope you enjoyed the ride with me.
Live life fully and enjoy your trips.