Tuesday, May 21st theme is free & easy....
What does this mean?
Your photo must contain one layer of any of my textures... that's it...that's all.
I am still going through some of my old photo treasures from my parent's photo albums. Since this is the month of May, I selected a photo of my sister taken in 1926. She is all ready to participate in the May Day festivities at her school. She was in the First Grade. At this time it was s fun filled day of celebration at school. The students dressed up in bright Spring clothes and decorated their wagons, tricycles, bicycles, and doll buggies with garlands and flowers. There were parades, dancing around the May Pole, and just general fun.
Here is my final textured layout.
This is how I did this. If you are interested, follow along. In the layers panel, notice which layers have the visibility turned on to see where I am in the layer stack.
I opened a new 12 x 12-inch,300 ppi, RGB, white background document. Then above the background layer I brought in one of my watercolor papers to start me out. The watercolor is at Normal mode and 100% Opacity.
Then, I used a brush with one of my little flowers to scatter some flowers mainly around the edges of the page. After placing the flowers, I changed the Mode to Color Dodge with 40% Opacity. This blended the flowers into the background.
Next, I brought in an image I obtained from the Library of Congress archives showing school children dancing around a May Pole.
I put a selection around a part of the image, refined the edge to give me a fuzzy edge, and jumped the selection to its own layer above the photo. I turned off the visibility of the original image. I changed the Mode to Color Burn at 50% Opacity.
Then I brought in many layers of elements at various blend modes and opacities. I have them all in a group layer. I am not going to show you all the steps. I'll just show you the end result of the elements in the group.
Next I brought in a layer of Kim's texture kk_cora. Here it is at Normal Mode and 100% Opacity.
Then I changed the blend mode to Linear Burn at 100% Opacity.
Now I brought in my photo of my sister with her dolls, baby buggy, and herself all decked out for the May Day festivities at school. I actually made a selection of the photo and then put a layer mask on the layer. This was not needed after all. So I didn't need to make it. Then I put a slight Bevel & Emboss and Drop Shadow around the photo.
Then I wanted to make the photo a little more sepia and color the whole background area the same color. I set the background color to the color I wanted and then brought in a Hue / Saturation adjustment layer. I clicked on the Colorize button to colorize the layer with the color I have in the Background Color. It came in at the right hue and I left the saturation and lightness at the default values.
Using the Brush Tool, with a small hard edge brush and a darker brown color, I drew some lines around the photo to set it off a little more. I changed the blend mode to Overlay at 100%.
Next, I used a brush of one of my flowers that I call flowers on sticks. I put the flowers on the left side of the page. I changed the blend mode to Screen at 30% Opacity. Then I clicked on the flower layer thumbnail while holding down the Command / Control key to put a selection around the flowers. I added a gradient adjustment layer and used a noise gradient to add a little color to the flowers. I reduced the Opacity to 20%; left mode Normal on the adjustment layer.
Then I put a smaller version of flowers on sticks at bottom right. I set blend mode to Linear Burn with 40% Opacity.
Then I put in the title, year, and text layers . . . each on their own layer.
Next I brought in Kim's texture kk_chamomile to add some more texture and darkening to the edges. I clicked on the photo thumbnail while holding down the
Command / Control key to put a selection around the photo area. On the texture layer, I put a layer mask so that the texture did not show on the photo. I changed the texture blend mode to
Soft Light at 100% Opacity.
Then I remembered that I had some music score from the Library of Congress that went with traditional May Pole dances. So I brought that in at my top layer. I set the blend mode to Linear Burn at 60% Opacity.
And that is how I got to my final composition.
I hope you found it interesting how I went about doing this week's Texture Tuesday.
That's all for now.
Live life fully.