For the first week of June 2013, we have a new Collage Obsession Challenge. This is the guideline we were given:
Collage Obsession - June Wedding
Spring time - weddings - bride and grooms anxious to begin their new life together. The challenge this week is to feature a bride or groom (or both) in your art work. I am giving you poetic license to create whatever mood you think suitable for your bridal couple, or maybe it is just a bride or just a groom.
For this challenge, I used some of the weekly freebie images from Dover. I thought you might be a little tired of all my old photographs that I have been using lately.
Here is my final product.
The siren song has lured them on a Wedding Cruise over the Seven Seas.
Here is how I got there.
I was looking through some of the freebie images from Dover. An idea started to firm up about a wedding couple that heard the siren song in their minds and were lured into a wedding sea voyage over the seven seas. Here are the images I decided to use.
I started my college by opening a new 12 x 12-inch, 300 ppi, RGB, white background document. Then I brought in one of my retro, funky backgrounds that I had made. Please note which layers in the layers panel have their visibility on to see where I am in the panel.
Then I brought in Veronica and dressed her in a 17th century wedding gown from the internet. I put layer masks so that I could easily remove parts that were not needed for the image.
I did the same thing with Lucien. I dressed him in a 17th century man's wedding outfit. I again used layer masks so I could remove areas that were not needed.
Next I brought in the mermaid siren. Made a duplicate layer to work on. I changed her layer blend mode to Pin Light at 70% Opacity. I used a scrubbing brush on the layer mask to hide part of the image and to blend it into the background.
Next I brought in the ship and also made a duplicate copy to work on. I added a layer mask to the copy and used a scrubbing brush on the mask to remove portions and blend the ship into the background. I set the blend mode to Multiply at 60% Opacity.
Now my siren needed her song. So I brought in some music from the Library of Congress to use. I used a layer mask to hide the music from the mermaid and from near the couple's heads. I set blend mode to Divide at 70%. This changed the music from black to white.
Next I brought in the text layers. I used Papyrus font. I used a darker shade of blue that was sampled from the sky above the ship for the color of the text.
I wanted to darken the edges of the layout a little to give a little more emphasis to the center part. I did this by putting a layer of 50% gray as the top layer . . . set its blend mode to Soft Light . . . then used the Burn Tool to go around the edges to make the edges darker . . . changed Opacity to 80%.
And that is how I created this collage.
I hope you enjoyed seeing how I did this.
I am hoping to make a video in the near future on how to make your own retro, funky backgrounds. It is strange how you go about it, but a lot of fun. And so many possible ways to modify it along the way.
Live life fully.